What follows is speculation informed by history, not current information. This is the rare occasion when speculation could impede a plot. Because of time urgency, this is a preliminary, to be followed in more detail.
The centerpiece is a staged apartment bombing.
- Corpses are sourced from the Russian prison system, to play the parts of deceased bomb squad personnel.
- Inert or unfused bombs, portrayed as live and dangerous, are “discovered” in the basement(s) of an apartment building.
- The occupants are evacuated.
- A large cordon is set up around the building.
- A bomb squad of actors responds, smuggling the corpses into the basement in heavy transit cases.
- The actors are smuggled out in the transit cases.
- A low order explosion mangles the corpses, now “heroes” who died trying to defuse the bomb.
- This may be augmented by live actors just close enough for fake superficial wounds.
- The event is documented in a form suitable for mass consumption.
- Public outrage results in Russia, the only place where it counts.