Only two state actors with conceivably hostile intent have the required technological base, Russia and China. Hence my early suspicion of Russia. Quoting,
The suspicion that Russia is likely behind the alleged attacks is backed up by evidence from communications intercepts, known in the spy world as signals intelligence…
The evolving evidence:
- Reality of the attacks, of which there was initially considerable doubt.
- Intent, supplied by signals intelligence.
- Feasibility, with reverse engineering in progress.
- Smoking gun. Although an actual instance of use is unlikely to have forensic witness, a close substitute is the weapon itself. If it can be made, it can be bought.
Circumstance, satisfied long ago, has been followed by intent. Feasibility and smoking gun remain unsatisfied. But convictions for murder have been obtained solely from circumstantial evidence. There is already enough to indicate that the attacks cannot be a rogue operation.
“Although the U.S. believes sophisticated microwaves or another type of electromagnetic weapon were likely used on the U.S. government workers, they are also exploring the possibility that one or more additional technologies were also used, possibly in conjunction with microwaves…”
In previous articles, I explored ultrasound. Microwave is discussed in Havana “Sonic” Attacks; Microwaves? Weaponizing either requires innovation beyond the obvious. So consider:
- An attack by multiple technologies at different times could deprive brain tissue of the chance to recover from what medicine calls the “insult”.
- Simultaneous attacks via microwave and ultrasound could produce synergistic damage, analogous to drug interactions.